The gardens belonging to St Nicholas, the oldest dwelling in Richmond, are a series of compartments laid out and planted from 1905 by the Hon. Robert ‘Bobbie’ James. Today the gardens are being sensitively resurrected and replanted in the spirit of their founder.
About 7 acres, amongst the Garden Rooms are a Formal Garden bounded by topiary hedges, a Cottage Garden, Rock Garden, Potager and Herb Garden and splendid Long Borders.
Member of the Historic Houses Association.
2019 – Garden Open Day on Sunday 19th May
Tickets on sale at the Gate
Gardens open 11.30 am to 5.30 pm
Dogs on leads welcome
Teas and homemade cakes, served at the front of the house.
¾ mile from Richmond town centre, the entrance for cars and pedestrians is through a sign-posted gateway on the south side of Maison Dieu (B6271), just past the T- junction with The Avenue. From Scotch Corner, enter Richmond on the Darlington Road, left at The Avenue then left into Maison Dieu. Travelling from Brompton-on-Swale, St Nicholas is on your left after the Richmond sign and the second road to Easby. Carry on past the house and garden until the signed entrance just before The Avenue.
Wheelchair access is regretfully restricted due to the different levels, steps and gravelled pathways.